1. The heart starts to beat at around four weeks after conception, and continues to do so until your death.
2. The human heart is not on the left-hand side of the body; it's in the middle.
Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
3. The 'thud-thud' a heartbeat makes is the sound made by the four valves of the heart opening and closing.
4. A babies heart contains the same number of cells as an adult heart but is only one-sixteenth the size!
5. A newborn has a much faster heartbeat, beating from 70 to 190 beats per minute.
6. A females heart is smaller than a males by about 25%. Because of this, the female heart has to beat around six times more than a male heart to pump the correct amount of blood around the body.
7. Every day, your heart creates enough energy to drive a truck for 20 miles (32 km).
The average heart beats 80 times a minute! This adds up to around 115,000 times a day, or 42 million times a year!
8. Your heart will pump nearly 1.5 million barrels of blood during your lifetime, enough to fill 200 train tank cars.
9. A pumping human heart can squirt blood 30ft.
10. Your heart can keep beating even if it is separated from the body because it has its own electrical impulse.
A cocaine addict's heart can beat for 25 minutes outside their body.
11. 75 trillion cells receive blood from the heart. Only the corneas don't.
12. There's a one in three chance that your first heart attack will be your last.
One-third of first heart attacks are fatal, and another third result in permanent damage to the heart.
13. You’re more likely to have a heart attack on a Monday then on any other day of the week.
14. The death of a loved one makes you up to 21 times more likely to suffer a heart attack within a day of your loss.
15. While sudden heart attacks during sex are rare, 75% of them happen to men who are cheating on their wives.
16. Instead of chest pains, heart attacks in women have nausea, indigestion, and shoulder aches.
17. Having an orgasm at least 3 times a week cuts in half the likelihood of coronary heart disease.
18. Vegetarians are 19% less likely to die from heart disease, a study found.
19. Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease by one-third.
20. Owning a cat can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes by more than a third, researchers found.
21. Your heartbeat changes and mimics the music you listen to.
22. Couples who are in love synchronize their heart rates after gazing into each others' eyes for three minutes.
23. Smoking makes the risk of a heart attack 200% to 400% greater than that of nonsmokers.
24. Multivitamins increase the risk of cancer and heart disease, according to recent studies.
25. People who work 11 hours or more a day are 67% more likely to have a heart attack than those with an 8-hour work day, according to a study.
26. "Stayin' Alive" has the optimum tempo for performing CPR on someone who has just suffered a heart attack.
27. The inventor of the heart stent approached numerous companies for funding and was rejected. It was funded by the owner of Fuddrucker's restaurant, whom he met by chance on a golf course.
28. The first heart transplant using a "dead heart" was performed by surgeons in Australia, in October 2014.
29. A man received the heart of a suicide victim, married his widow, and years later killed himself on the same way his donor did.
30. The Ancient Egyptians believed that the heart, along with other major organs, had wills of their own and could move around inside the body!
Preview photo credit: unknown